A smile is one of the first things people notice about you, so it is important to keep it in good condition. Because one of the main functions of teeth is to chew food, you need to watch what you eat in order to maintain good dental health. Here are some of the best and worst foods for the health of your smile.
Good Foods For Teeth
- Dairy Products: these contain a lot of calcium and protein which rebuild tooth structure.
- Lean Meat: poultry and fish are rich in both protein and phosphorus that help to strengthen tooth enamel.
- Fruits and Vegetables: these foods contain a lot of fiber and water that balance sugars and clean teeth.
- Nuts: these not only contain a lot of protein, but chewing them stimulates saliva flow, neutralizing acids and cleaning the mouth.
- Water: this drink clears away food debris. If it contains fluoride then it can rebuild and protect teeth.
Bad Foods For Teeth
- Potato Chips: this snack has a lot of starch which gets easily trapped between teeth.
- Sticky Foods: dried fruit and chewy candies stick to teeth for long periods of time.
- Citrus Fruits: contain acids that erode tooth enamel.
- Ice: chewing on this can break teeth.
- Coffee: this drink stains teeth, often has added sugars, and can dry the mouth if it contains caffeine.
- Soda: contains both sugars and acids.