Your talented dentists at Carp Dental, Dr. Carp, Dr. Ooh, Dr. Yu, and Dr. Goldwater, offer periodontics, which includes prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of periodontal disease.
Periodontal disease is a medical condition where the inner layer of the gum and bone pull away from the teeth and form pockets. These pockets begin to get infected because they collect debris and bacteria inside. The bacteria and plaque begin to build up and release toxins and poisons into the mouth and body. These toxins break down the bone and tissue and eventually destroy them. Once they are destroyed, there is no longer an anchor holding down the teeth. This causes the teeth to loosen and fall out.
There are many factors that may contribute to periodontal disease. These include the following:
- Tobacco use: The usage of tobacco products and smoking make it hard for the gum tissue to repair itself.
- Hormonal changes: Pregnancy, puberty, menopause, and monthly menstruation cause the gums to be sensitive and allow periodontal disease to develop.
- Poor oral hygiene habits: If patients do not brush and floss their teeth regularly, they are more susceptible to gum disease.
- Genetics: If a patient’s family has a history of having periodontal disease, there is a good chance they can have it as well.
- Medications: Some medications slow the flow of saliva, which is a protective coating over the gums, making the gums vulnerable to the disease.
Do you wish to know more about periodontics and treatment for gum disease in Norristown, Pennsylvania? We invite you to call our office today. We are happy to help you!